The Roman Catholic University of Santo Tomas
was founded on April 28, 1611. The campus of the oldest existing University in Asia was orginally located in Intramuros
, the walled city of Manila. In 1927, the main university campus was tranferred from Intramuros northwest to the Sampaloc district of Manila. The
Intramuros campus continued to operate until WWII when the Japanese converted the campus into an internment camp for civilians, foreigners and POWs. During the liberation of Manila, buildings of the University in Intramuros as well as in Sampaloc were damaged or destroyed. The facility in Intramuros was burned on February 8, 1944.
A set of two stamps was issued on November 13, 1956, to honor the University of Santo Tomas. The Swiss firm of Courvoisier printed the stamps which feature the main building built in 1927 on the Sampaloc campus.
A First Day of Issue cachet was not produced by the Bureau of Posts for this issue.
First Day Covers
Unpainted and Painted
|University of Santo Tomas Main Building|
Photograph : Erick Opena,2009